Theme: "Healthy Land, Healthy Living "
What is Land Degradation Neutrality?
The state of land whereby the amount and quality of land resources necessary to support:
- ecosystem function and services
- enhance food security remain stable
What are the main Land Degradation issues in Kiribati?
- Population pressure in urban centers
- Coastal erosion due to climate change and sea level rise
- Pollution by waste oil
- Land pollution from poor management of solid waste
- Sea water intrusion
- Mining of beach and sand and aggregates
- Land clearing for developmental purposes
- Burning of waste and debris
- Rubbish burning and bush fires
- degradation of habitat from pollution
- Sea level rise
- Water flooding from heavy rainfall
- Poor waste management / littering